пятница, октября 27, 2006

Send messages on Ctrl-Enter in GAIM 2.0.0beta4

"If you find a feature, it might confuse the user, so remove it." (c)

Okay, I do like the new interface in GAIM 2.0 beta, shipped with Ubuntu 6.10 'Edgy Eft'. It sucks a lot less than 1.x series did.

They Preferences dialog has been cleaned up considerably. A lot of rarely-used options were removed, so it's a lot easier to navigate and with luck you can get GAIM configured to your liking in under 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, the "Send message on Ctrl-Enter" setting that I use happened to be among the options that had to go. The FAQ does address the change but is not very helpful, and I had to spend some time researching. And here are direct instructions:

In your home dir, find or create a file named .gtkrc-2.0 and add the following lines:
binding "my-message-bindings"
{
bind "Return" { "insert-at-cursor" ("\n") }
bind "<ctrl>Return" { "message_send" () }
}
widget "*gaim_gtkconv_entry" binding "my-message-bindings"
Restart GAIM and enjoy.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Анонимный said...

I am sorry, I don't think this will work. If you bind the same key to two different event, I think the default behaviour will be enforced. But I may be wrong (as I am not a programmer and did not look at the source code). At least it doesn't work on my Fedora Core 6 with gaim 2.0.0b4. As well as this doesn't work either:

binding "olds"
{
# enter inserts a newline
bind "Return" { "insert-at-cursor" ("\n") }
# ctrl-enter sends message
bind "<ctrl>Return" { "message_send" () }
# Shift-f1 toggles bold
bind "<shift>F1" { "format_function_toggle" (1) }
# Shift-f2 toggles italic
bind "<shift>F2" { "format_function_toggle" (2) }
# Shift-f3 toggles underline
bind "<shift>F3" { "format_function_toggle" (4) }
# Shift-f4 resets the formatting
bind "<shift>F4" { "format_function_clear" () }
}
widget "*gaim_gtkconv_entry" binding "olds"

Well, actually the part about text formatting does work, but not the Return/control+return.

09:57  
Blogger toneg said...

Oops, it turns out Blogger failed to escape the <ctrl> in the second bind. Fixed. Thanks for pointing this out.

17:14  
Blogger toneg said...

Strange your script doesn't work, seeing how it's essentially identical to mine.

Are you sure it's actually being parsed by gtk? Might it be that the <shift>F1 happen to work simply because are builtin in GAIM?

17:30  
Anonymous Анонимный said...

I am sure it's being parsed because I have some other entries in it, mostly for making fonts smaller and other decoration as well. If I move this file away, I don't get the formatting key-bindings anymore. It does seem strange, unless I am missing something.
I can email the whole gtkrc-2.0, but it is pretty much same as from FAQ on gaim's page. Plus I just tried to leave the binding section only, I still get "Return" for send message and Ctrl-Return for next line in the typing box.

20:39  
Blogger toneg said...

Well, I'm out of ideas. Might be a good idea to ask the developers.

19:46  
Anonymous Анонимный said...

Tried this on Gaim 2.0.0 beta 3.1 and it worked!

01:04  
Anonymous Анонимный said...

Этот комментарий был удален администратором блога.

22:26  

Отправить комментарий

<< Home